Intracoastal Canal Bridge Replacement
The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development(DOTD) announces that beginning in April, construction will begin on a project to replace the LA 1 Intracoastal Bridge in West Baton Rouge Parish.
This $57.7 million project will replace the current southbound bridge with a new bridge that will be constructed on the west side of the existing structure. Additionally, Ernest Wilson Drive and LA 1 will be realigned to connect with the new bridge. Vehicles will remain on the current alignment until the new bridge is completed, at which time, both south and northbound traffic will be shifted to the new bridge. There will be two lanes of traffic in each direction during construction.
During construction, temporary lane closures will be kept to a minimum and will only be allowed for a duration of a single day from the hours of 7 p .m. to 4 a.m.
This is part of a two-phased project that once completed, will have a new southbound bridge that has three 12-foot lanes and 10-foot shoulders and a new northbound bridge with two 12-foot lanes and 10-foot shoulders and a barrier separated exit lane for I-10 eastbound. Phase two is scheduled to go to bid summer 2023.
The contractor, Kiewit Louisiana Co., is anticipated to be completed with phase one early 2023, weather permitting. Phase two is estimated to be completed 2026.
2/17/2022 WBR Press Release
On Wednesday, February 16th, the administration attended an online status update meeting with Kiewit Contractors, LaDOTD and various stakeholders.
- Mobilization is still continuing and is on-schedule. The official construction contract start date has been – and remains – April 8th, 2022. This is when the official contract time begins.
- Parish President Berthelot has been working with emergency responders over concerns of the proposed elimination of the existing boat launch. DOTD has indicated that a permanent boat launch will be re-established in the Second Project. The existing boat launch is scheduled for closure on or around March 15th.
- The west frontage road south of the Intracoastal, in the vicinity of North Line Road, is scheduled to be permanently removed. Access in and out of North Line Road will permanently be facilitated by the east service road, which will be repaved as part of this project. Other access to North Line can be facilitated by Sun Plus Parkway.
- Towards the end of this First Project, the northbound La 1 traffic will be shifted to the new southbound bridge structure (for those traveling to Port Allen). For those traveling to I-10 Eastbound, that traffic will continue to use the existing northbound bridge structure throughout most or all of the First Project. During the Second Project (which include demolition of the existing northbound structure), travelers going to I-10 Eastbound will have access from the southbound facility while contraflow continues on the new southbound facility.
- Current anticipated timelines for traffic changes around the Intracoastal bridges are as follows: Full closure of Ernest Wilson for pavement work (Weekend of 4/9/22 thru 4/11/22 and Weekend of 4/16/22 thru 4/18/22); full closure of west frontage road south of the Intracoastal with pavement improvements and diversion to the east frontage road (As early as April 8th, 2022). As with any construction project, these timelines are subject to change.
- There will be some southbound lane pavement work south of the Intracoastal to widen the southbound lanes. There will be traffic shifts on the southbound lanes during this construction. It is anticipated to keep two southbound lanes opened during the widening. The current anticipated timeframe for this road construction and lane shifts is May 2022.